Next book presentation:
October 12th, 2016. ANACORTES 7 PM, Anacortes Library, 1220 10th St.
In the works: Seattle…
My book, Geology Underfoot in Western Washington, published by Mountain Press Publishing (Missoula), is now available in bookstores (though you may need to ask them to order a copy for you). It is part of the Geology Underfoot book series. The book features 22 field trips to exciting geologic sites in the western part of the state. The book is written for a popular audience, though it should be useful and enjoyable for geologists and earth science educators, too. Each chapter takes you to a particular site, and gets you out of your car and face-to-face with the rocks and landscape. Here is a sample chapter that visits folded and overturned sedimentary layers at Beach 4 on the Olympic Peninsula. The book includes a ‘Geology 101’ – style introduction to basic concepts, as well as an extensive glossary. It has many color photographs and original explanatory drawings.
Some of the sites described in the book include:
- Willapa Bay stumps submerged by the January 26, 1700 Cascadia Earthquake (M 9), and the workings of subduction.
- Golden Horn granite at Washington Pass and Blue Lake. This chapter discusses the mechanisms for emplacement of large volumes of magma in the crust.
- A tour of some significant glacial erratics in the Puget Lowland.
- An urban geology tour of downtown Seattle, and the fascinating rocks from all over the world found on buildings.
- The still-unresolved riddle of the Mima Mounds
- The Kulshan caldera near Mount Baker
- Pleistocene glacial and interglacial deposits on Whidbey Island
Mountain Press Publishers of Missoula also publish the well-known Roadside Geology series. Other volumes in the Geology Underfoot series can be found at the Mountain Press website.
The cover art is by Eric Knight of Los Angeles. It shows a future eruption of Mount Rainier, based on past eruptions, in particular the Electron lahar that filled west-side valleys 500 years ago. You can buy a 20 x 28″ color poster from Eric at his website, or from me at book presentation. $15.